The IEC61511 standard requires that designers of Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) need to justify the selection of equipment to be used in Safety Instrumented Functions (SIFs). As such, the standard defines only two methods that are acceptable: IEC61508 certified devices or Prior Use Justification. Devices that are not certified to IEC61508 will require suitable justification for use in SIFs. The objective of Prior Use Justification is to gather evidence that the dangerous systematic faults have been reduced to a sufficiently low level, compared to the required safety integrity. This is in addition to the separate requirement to satisfy the random failure rate/probability criteria (i.e. PFDavg/PFH).
The purpose of this webinar is to shed some further light into the Prior Use Justification requirement for SIF equipment and what that means to the end user.
What you will learn?
- What is Prior Use Justification
- What that means to the end user
- How to justify use of the equipment
- What is the purpose of Prior Use
Who should attend?
- SIS designers and Engineering contractors
- Operations and maintenance personnel
- Plant Managers and Supervisors