Failure Rate Prediction
Failure Modes Effects and Diagnostics Analysis (FMEDA) is a failure rate/failure mode prediction technique invented by engineers at exida that uses component failure rates chosen per a given design strength profile in combination with an operational profile which specifies an application and environment.
The FMEDA technique is performed on a specific device (e.g., ball valve, pressure transmitter, electronic module, etc.) specified down to the manufacturer and series/model. Variables that must be considered in the analysis include:
- the parts used to execute the design,
- the design margins,
- any automatic diagnostics,
- the specific application usage and
- the environment in which the device will be deployed.
The FMEDAx Tool user enters this information for the specific design based on product schematics and mechanical design documents along with expert knowledge on the potential impact of expected failure modes and how they would be handled in the specific system under evaluation. This analysis is a part of the typical high-quality product design certification process for a product certified to IEC 61508 for a particular Safety Integrity Level (SIL).
The FMEDAx tool was created by the inventors of the FMEDA technique and incorporates the knowledge developed over decades of use. The FMEDAx tool comes with one or more specified component databases that cover all needed components and the proper operational profile.
Electrical / Mechanical Component Database (EMCD)
exida has developed three general purpose component failure databases: electrical, mechanical, and sensors.
- Provides all the information needed for accurate failure rate/mode predictions. Unlike other database sources, the EMCD™ database contains failure rates, failure modes and failure mode distributions for a variety of operational profiles and applications. Engineers performing FMEDA work will no longer have to spend hours searching the internet for failure modes / distributions then wonder about the pedigree of the data.
- Has a stronger variety and quantity of electronic and mechanical components than any other component database. Combine this with the EMCD™ database service, where licensed customers may request new part creation based on exida data. This will save many engineering hours.
- Has been compiled based on over 350 billion-unit operating hours of traceable field failure data from owner/operators of industrial plants, manufacturer’s warranty systems, and published industry collections making it the global gold standard. Thus, the EMCD™ meets failure data quality and traceability requirements of IEC 61511:2016 and other functional safety standards (IEC 61508, ISO 13849 and IEC 62061) helping to ensure the integrity of the FMEDA results.
- Provides failure rate / failure mode data sets for multiple application conditions and operating profiles.
- Is updated one or more times per year with new components and/or new failure modes/Failure mode distributions. This feature allows Engineers to stay up to date with the latest technology.
Request a Quote Request a Web Demo